Saturday, November 3, 2007

"I can't go on, I'll go on." samuel beckett.

back to running! i'm recovering from both the lakefront 50k and the stomach flu that i apparently picked up from my students. after six days of rest and walking, i headed out for an easy 4-mile loop around the 'hood with drew yesterday. what fun! it felt so good to stretch the legs out and enjoy myself.

looks like i'll be taking a few more easy weeks, then beginning the ice age 50 training just after my birthday (nov. 17th!!!!). i'm thankful to be feeling healthy and enthusiastic - a complete mess at times - but healthy and enthusiastic.

one of the scariest things about distance runs, for me, is the unknown *after* the race. will i feel like shit? will i hate running? will my body hate me? can i go on?

maybe that's the point of distance running, though - to put yourself out there not only for the unknown of running, but for the unknown of the whole life experience that surrounds it. to continually ask yourself: "can i go on?" and to reply "i can't go on, i'll go on."

it's the obligation to endure and, at times, to even enjoy it.

No comments: