Thursday, September 6, 2007

the middle road.

i was back in iowa city this week due to forces beyond my control. still, it was a delight to see r., drink crappy beer at george's, and run 16 miles saturday on the iowa river corridor trail and through city park, and then 10 miles sunday out to the lower finkbine trail. i loved every minute of it except that my pesky little tumor and my lack of hill running were kicking my ass come monday. my legs are DEAD. well, they *were* dead. after three days of power walking, my legs seem to be coming back to me. still, my shins, calves, and ankles are a bit testy.

anyway, i'm starting to love wandering around outside for hours on end. i'm not running fast; i'm not racing; but i'm still running. throughout my life, i've frequently done things perfectly or not at all. as i told b. earlier this evening, i'm trying to learn to be a bit more mediocre. does that sound crazy? yes. but somewhere between obsessively fantastic and stubbornly apathetic lies the middle road.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

you will never be mediocre, carrie g.! mediocre runners don't dabble in the ultra world of running and living :)

how are the legs???